Pissbabybrown's "I'm Going To Watch A Lot of Movies" Movies Thread

For talking about visual media in the vein of cartoons, television drama, superhero movies, etc.
Pissbabybrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pissbabybrown's "I'm Going To Watch A Lot of Movies" Movies Thread

Post by Pissbabybrown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:17 am

Hello, PBBPPBCPHPBB. I am starting a mildly ambitious project: watch a bunch of movies. 日本語の学生だ、いいアーティストになりたいです。 For this reason, I'm going to watch a bunch of Japanese movies (and American movies also) in an attempt to expand my ability to comprehend 日本語, and concepts like "cinematography" and "morality."

Anyway, I'm going to post my list of movies here. If anybody has any recommendations on movies to watch, let me know. I'm going to post thoughts and related content as I watch each movie here, so that I have a log that I can go back to. I figure this is good practice.

This is the starting list.

I'm going to attempt to start with Tokyo Drifter shortly.
word count: 118
I am Pissbabybrown.

Pissbabybrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pissbabybrown's "I'm Going To Watch A Lot of Movies" Movies Thread

Post by Pissbabybrown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:44 am

ImageImageImageImage

TOKYO DRIFTER!!!!! WOW!!! WHAT A MOVIE!!!!

東京流れ者!!!!!!!!

This movie was so good. I love Tetsu. I love the cinematography. All of the shots of Tetsu looking out at the sky. Wow. His blue suit. Wow. What a guy. I love this movie. Damn. His white suit. And let's not even talk about Otsuka in the red suit. That was also cool. Everybody had a suit and they were all good suits. I guess that's what being yakuza is about. This movie was so god damn good. It hit such a spot in my heart I didn't even know was empty. The cheesey, stilted translations of what was probably already cheesey, stilted melodramatic dialogue was perfect. The brawl scenes were hilarious and punchy and cool. I love the fact that they just start singing. I really enjoyed the hell out of this movie. I took a screenshot every time a scene looked cool and I ended up with like 60+ screenshots.

I really like how the scenes are framed when the cast gets big. So many times people walk perfectly next to each other so that everybody can fit on screen. I don't know if it's just because I don't usually pay so much attention to stuff like that and I was trying especially hard to notice visually what was going on in this film, or if most movies do stuff like this.

ImageImage

I love the actor for Yoshii's expressions. He looks like such an old man that gets tangled up in Yakuza affairs. It's great.

The hyper focus on Otsuka's sunglasses in the beginning is also like really goofy but interesting. It was really effective at making me wonder what the hell this guy was about. (ON top of the red suit which was dope. The scene where he reaches for the red phone and he's wearing his red suit and a like overcoat thing draped over his shoulders is cool. I don't think I got a screen of that but it looked dope.)

ImageImageImageImage

There was also a lot of neat eye and face stuff? I didn't grab screens of the gore-y eye stuff from the eyepatch dude but it was neat to see a persistence on people's eyes and face. I especially liked Tatsu's entire story line.

Chiharu and Testu's relationship is also really interesting. I'm not really sure if the implication is that they have a...chaste? relationship, but his like near constant rejection of her is interesting.

ImageImage

It's really interesting that Tetsu is ostensibly just... a really good guy. It's also really like, I can see this movie's impact on at least the Yakuza game series, but beyond that it seems like this type of character or perhaps even Tetsu is just, really prevalent in Japanese media. Even beyond that, characters like Ryan Gosling's in Drive and Blade Runner 2049 seem pretty heavily inspired by performances like these. I love it, it's a good character arc.

I don't think it's any argument that the coolest stuff visually, is in the finale.

ImageImageImageImage

The color direction up until the finale is already really interesting. I talked about how much I love Tetsu's blue suit, but all the scenes of him in the snow are cool as hell. The flashing signs, the telephone, the club- when Tetsu is under the dance floor and looks up especially- it's all just really cool to look at, without ever being overbearing visually.

ImageImage

These scenes just blow everything else out of the water. The bloody bit at the end with Kurata is so visually shocking in the white room, but the changing of color from black to white as Tetsu enters the room, and the changing color of the weird statue thing is dope as hell too.

ImageImageImageImage

And of course the last two scenes of Tetsu alone, drifting, are fucking great.

Quick shoutout to the hair dryer product placement which is also fucking great. I don't know if that was tongue in cheek or not but I love it anyway.

I don't know that I have the best databank of visual rhetoric information to really delve super deep into these movies after I watch them, but seeing the visual threads (people's faces, people's eyes, people sitting behind vertical bars, the colors of CLUB アルル) that continue through this movie are really interesting to watch pay off.

Anyway, I'm super glad I watched this movie!
word count: 759
I am Pissbabybrown.

LieutenantFish69

Post by LieutenantFish69 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 am

Here are some that I'd say are worth checking out, if you haven't already. These are more things I enjoyed a lot, for one reason or another, not movies I think are all necessarily fun/watchable/well made/notable for cinematic achievement.

Murder Party
Robocop (followed immediately by Our Robocop Remake)
Dark Star
Willow
The Amazing Bulk
Get Shorty
Lord of Illusions
Endhiran
Time Bandits
Cube
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Bad Taste

I'd also recommend digging up David Foster Wallace's essay on Terminator 2 if you feel like "Getting Woke" :ugeek:
word count: 94

Pissbabybrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pissbabybrown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 am

I appreciate the suggestions. I should've stated in this thread that another reason why I'm choosing the movies I've chosen is because I'm trying to get inspiration for a story I'm writing that's vaguely cyberpunk/noir-y. I will keep your suggestions in mind regardless, but they might be moved to the back of the list.
word count: 62
I am Pissbabybrown.

LieutenantFish69

Post by LieutenantFish69 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:13 am

In that case, pretend that Robocop, Endhiran, and Cube have all been highlighted.
:burger:
word count: 13

Chwoka

Post by Chwoka » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:05 am

I'll go ahead and second Robocop.

I'm so glad you basically reacted to Tokyo Drifter the same way I did way back when. ("Oh my God, it looks so cool, it's stitched together so cool, movies can be made like this?") It's probably my favorite movie out of all of them! It's 100% the movie that made me into a movie nerd if you wanna know Chwoka: Origins, because good God damn it was impossible to ignore the cinematography or the editing or how everyone was meticulously staged. Seijun Suzuki puts the film form where you can't possibly miss it, but unlike those snooty (and way over-rated, tbh) french directors like Godard his goal is not to agitate or educate or distance us, his goal remains to just entertain. I've watched this film more times than any other. On my first pass I did not understand the plot as well as you, part of the fun was seeing how these other formal elements 100% took precedence over their gossamer-thin pretext... I thought it was contempt for cliche at the time, but as I rewatched it and came to piece it together and explored Seijun Suzuki's other films, I think that's just how he tells a story.

After Tokyo Drifter, the studio banned him from using (or as they would put it, abusing) color. Branded To Kill, his follow-up, is the most acclaimed of his loose trilogy of bonkers crime films. It is even more avant-garde and, cast in classic noir shadows instead of a neon-noir romp, a ton darker in subject tone as well. He got blacklisted by the studios from making films because of it, and he had to sit out almost the entire Japanese New Wave, which had to be brutal. 40 some odd years later, he made Pistol Opera, a direct sequel to Branded To Kill, but with more the color palette and attitude of Tokyo Drifter, but times about a hundred and on drugs.
word count: 342

Max

Post by Max » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:06 am

Another great Japanese film is Hana-bi by Takeshi Kitano. It's pretty much his masterpiece as a director and the soundtrack is done by Joe Hisaishi. The action is few and far between, but it pales in comparison to the narrative. It also has one of my favorite endings in film, and centers around the main character's "morality". The theme of, "what would you do if you lost everything?" emanates into every character, and how the major and minor characters deal with this loss is often strange and beautiful. For sure something to check out, at the least (that is, if you haven't already seen it).
word count: 109
Pissbabybrown wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:38 pm
Let he who has not gamed cast the first AR-15.

Max

Post by Max » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 am

A great cyberpunk anime is Cyber City Oedo 808. It doesn't have that good a story but in its 3 episode runtime it's visuals are great. It was one of the main reasons I started reading Neuromancer. That same director contributed to the film Neo Tokyo (along with the director of Akira) as a short film in the same vein/aesthetic as Cyber City.
word count: 66
Pissbabybrown wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:38 pm
Let he who has not gamed cast the first AR-15.

Dalm

Post by Dalm » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:19 pm

LieutenantFish69 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 am
Here are some that I'd say are worth checking out, if you haven't already. These are more things I enjoyed a lot, for one reason or another, not movies I think are all necessarily fun/watchable/well made/notable for cinematic achievement.

Murder Party
Robocop (followed immediately by Our Robocop Remake)
Dark Star
Willow
The Amazing Bulk
Get Shorty
Lord of Illusions
Endhiran
Time Bandits
Cube
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Bad Taste

I'd also recommend digging up David Foster Wallace's essay on Terminator 2 if you feel like "Getting Woke" :ugeek:

G O O B Y

I will run a stream of tokyo drifter later tonight if i can source a torrent.
word count: 124

Pissbabybrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pissbabybrown » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:57 pm

ImageImage

Perfect Blue!!! What a movie!!! Wow!!!

I didn't take nearly as many screens for this movie but it's not at all a commentary on the direction or cinematography of this film. Moreso a comment on, I was watching this movie with CHWOKA and talking about the movie while it was happening, and as a result I at times was preoccupied. Regardless, I did get a good amount of screencaps and I absolutely loved this movie.

Visually, it's completely excellent. I love how Kon frames the scenes around Mimi's face. I also love the attention to character's eyes. This movie was kind of hard to sit through because of how emotionally raw and disgusting it is at times. I felt so much empathy for Mimi that it was very legitimately difficult to see bad things happen to her.

ImageImage

I think, something I'm already learning about myself from watching this, is I love seeing character's faces.

ImageImage

I also really like how the scenes are so populated in this movie. It creates a sense of claustrophobia.

The plot is fucking amazing, I haven't touched on that at all because I think it kind of goes without saying. This movie tells an absolutely excellent story. It's a fantastic commentary on celebrity through the lens of an idol star, which of course is incredibly important to look at in Japan. I think the subject is handled wonderfully, and I'm glad that painful scenes and disgusting events were portrayed in a way that, at least I felt, accurately portrayed how disgusting and painful they were. The more "lewd" scenes were not really played in an arousing light, I think. They're kind of played over each other in a way that makes it more and more unsettling and disgusting as it continues.

The recurring scene of her waking up. The backwards glances over her shoulders. The clapping, the tv set, the screen. It's a very accurate look into what living with intense, crippling anxiety and stress is like. I think the movie that most captured this feeling for me on screen previously was Memento, but I think this movie puts that one to shame topically and visually.

Anyway, I'm glad that I watched this movie!! It's definitely one that I'm going to be thinking about for a long time.
word count: 397
I am Pissbabybrown.