Pissbabybrown's "I'm Going To Watch A Lot of Movies" Movies Thread

For talking about visual media in the vein of cartoons, television drama, superhero movies, etc.
Dalm

Re: Pissbabybrown's "I'm Going To Watch A Lot of Movies" Movies Thread

Post by Dalm » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Hardwire is a fun film about a robot that kills people, that Chwoka and i watched one time and really enjoyed.
word count: 21

Pissbabybrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pissbabybrown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:32 am

I have not been keeping good track of the movies I've watched in a while.

I just watched Castle of Cagliostro, the Miyazaki Lupin film. My experience to Lupin prior to this was watching a few episodes from 2015's Part IV. My prior Miyazaki experience is mostly watching Spirited Away a few times in my life and also Nausicaa at some point.

This is a really good movie! I didn't take any screenshots because I sort of watched it without any planning and on a TV. It has absolutely beautiful painted vistas and backgrounds, which is pretty standard for a Miyazaki affair, but they really are breath taking. The eponymous castle itself stands really stark as this weird, Disney but also Berserk styled death and crime factory. It predates Berserk so I'm not trying to imply that Miyazaki is a big Berserk fan or anything, I just really like the macabre-ness of the bodies hanging in death pits and mass robber graves contrasted with the beautiful lake.

My favorite shot from the movie is the shot of the sewer grate that Lupin ends up exiting at the end, but it's also displayed at the beginning before the water is drained from the lake. It feels really dorky to say but it reminds me of Firelink Shrine from Dark Souls. Actually I don't feel dorky saying it anymore because New Londo/Firelink Shrine is absolutely inspired by this movie. Jesus christ, Dark Souls and Berserk ripping off a Miyazaki movie. Who knew.

As far as the actual events of the story go, there's something really charming about Lupin and the slapstick antics in this movie. My initial thoughts are that, because the "a-tatatata!"s Lupin and his foes sputter out as they fall into clock gears and scale buildings are sort of downplayed by the sheer scale of the environments that they are in. I think it has to do with the camera's framing, there's never like a hoaky close up on Lupin doing a gag reaction face as he stumbles through some elaborate trap. The gags of the cast seem kind of secondary to everything else, instead of being honed in on and hammed up, and it never becomes annoying. It stays silly, too, but it doesn't make the silliness everything. There are, I think, two old styled, slow zoom-in moments that absolutely killed me because of how cheesey and hammy they were but it fit right in with the tone of the movie and I loved it. [Think the zoom in on the sunglasses at the beginning of Tokyo Drifter. Old movies do zooms like this and it's great.]

And there are actual stakes in this movie, which is neat for a sort of comedy-adventure movie. I felt legitimately invested in what was going on on screen. The multiple twists and turns are exciting without feeling stupid or, I guess, unwarranted. Though it never feels like Lupin isn't going to come out on top, the moments where he falters feel legitimately like, oh, what will happen? It never gets bogged down in a bad slump, this movie is never at any point boring. The final reveal of what the treasure is is really interesting and, frankly beautiful.

Also I appreciate that Lupin and Clarisse don't get together! I think that was a really good choice, him respecting that it wasn't going to be a thing that would be good, despite his self proclaimed "womanizer" status. Legitimately a gentleman thief.

My gut reaction to this movie is that it's my favorite thing I've seen by Miyazaki, though that isn't saying much, because it has been a while since I watched a Miyazaki movie. I really recommend this to someone who isn't sold on "anime" as a concept, I think it's an absolutely fantastic display of what a good anime movie can be; a really good, well paced adventure-comedy about a French thief going on a Romantic heist in a fake European country.
word count: 686
I am Pissbabybrown.

Dalm

Post by Dalm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:26 pm

:square+:
I watched Redline with my girl friend.
It was v fun. Ive already seen it a buncha times but its still good Ashell :ugeek:
word count: 23

LieutenantFish69

Post by LieutenantFish69 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:33 am

There's never a bad time to watch Redline.

Admin, did you ever get around to watching Cube? :square+: It's probably the best movie to take place entirely in a series of cubes... and that definitely includes the sequels.
word count: 39