art critique thread

This is the forum where you post art, for display, critique, publishing, and whatever else you may desire.

Moderator: Dalm

LieutenantFish69

Re: art critique thread

Post by LieutenantFish69 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm

g0m wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:50 pm
LieutenantFish69 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:34 pm
Image I have taken all feedback -- the good AND the bad -- into consideration while making this next gradient. however this is the last one I will ever do. I believe I have learned all I can from them. It's time to move on. :ugeek:
I'd love to see this bad boy turned 90 degrees.
meh... one for the road
word count: 77

g0m
g0m

Post by g0m » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm

LieutenantFish69 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm
meh... one for the road
Hmm. I've decided I hate it, actually. Please turn it back.
word count: 26

LieutenantFish69

Post by LieutenantFish69 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:40 pm

g0m wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm
LieutenantFish69 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm
meh... one for the road
Hmm. I've decided I hate it, actually. Please turn it back.
word count: 35

g0m
g0m

Post by g0m » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Thank you.
word count: 2

LieutenantFish69

Post by LieutenantFish69 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:21 pm

g0m wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Thank you.
De nada!
word count: 12

Keldin

Post by Keldin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:40 pm

hnnnn.... crungy...
word count: 2

Pissbabybrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pissbabybrown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:57 am

Here's a series of more serious drawings I've been doing lately. I recently got a tablet and the program Clip Studio Paint, and when I'm free from other things I've been trying to mess around with various aspects of the program, as well as just drawing better.

Image (alternative)

Thoughts would be appreciated. I wasn't aware that this was the only way to get Dalm to offer constructive criticism. :burger:
word count: 73
I am Pissbabybrown.

LieutenantFish69

Post by LieutenantFish69 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:00 pm

[context: I have a rough idea of the timeframe in which these pieces were made]
It's not only clear that you aren't afraid to experiment with new techniques and styles, it's impressive how fast you move from one to the next. I'd recommend that you try to complete no fewer than three pieces like these every week, and re-do at least one per month, replicating the style as best you can while bringing in everything you've learned in the interim.
word count: 86

Pissbabybrown
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pissbabybrown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 pm

I think all of these were in the past week. The one of Pepsi the Lizard girl coughing might be a week and a half ago. Also, I forgot to link this picture apparently.

This was also done about a week or so ago and is probably my most ... concerted effort at combining stuff I learned about gesture and stuff I learned about drawing from a reference.

The other stuff in order:

1. I drew this because I like that brush and it was just done over another drawing I had done a little sketch for already in another layer.
2. I drew this because I wanted to color an OC I had drawn in one of my notebooks.
3. I believe this was drawn without any real planning whatsoever, I just wanted to see what kind of effects I could apply in CSP.
4. This drawing was a painting over of another drawing I did. I was coloring it when I decided it looked cooler to just remove the lineart.
5. I was testing out how to make a brush in CLS yesterday. I've never made a brush in anything before, and I wanted to make a brush that combined the brush I used in image 1, the kind of lineart I liked from the more serious illustrations done by Hussie for Homestuck (which is probably the most influential thing on my style ever, I love brushes with no aliasing), and the ability to do thinner lines that I like from anime like NGE.

I think overall I want to gravitate more towards doing drawings like 1 and 5, I like that kind of lineart way more than the kind in 2, 3, and the newest image, which frankly looks like I drew it in Flash or something. However, usually when I do any kind of drawing I've been trying to tack on something a little extra as an experiment, just so I can keep ideas flowing, like you suggested.

I just wanted to say that to provide a better context for these "pieces." I wouldn't really qualify any of these as anything so completed I'd want to put them on a portfolio or anything, except for maybe 4 if I were to do some touching up on it.
word count: 384
I am Pissbabybrown.

Dalm

Post by Dalm » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:24 am

Your understanding of colour is good, and your lineart is really solid. You use long, confident strokes that make the edges clear and visible, rather than feathering. I think I've told you this before in IM.

One thing i'd absolutely recommend is practicing your volumes. Draw a bunch of cubes and cylinders and spheres, and try and work out how they work in space. Drawing objects and buildings and other stuff from life will really help with this, because it lets you see an object in 3d. Right now, most of your stuff feels pretty 2 dimensional. That's because it is, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you'd like to change that, practising volumes is a great way to do it.

Another thing I'd recommend is trying out line weight variation. Whether it's using two differently sized pens for the detail and outline, or for lines facing towards and away from the light source of the picture, or it's using a pressure-sensitive brush and putting more pressure in some places than others, line weight variation is something that very much helps to portray depth in images.

Finally, I'd say vary your poses. The last image does this very well, but the other images are all roughly front-on or 3/4ths shots of a character not doin too much. That's good as reference for later drawing, or to emphasise what a character looks like, but you can usually do more interesting stuff and show more about them by what they're doing. This is something I'm personally trying to work on currently, but it's good as hell.

I really love that last black and red ita. The striking colour palette emphasises her duality, and the stripes just, hammer that in in a really satisfying way. There's asymmetry in her design bc of her one eye. It really shows she's a conflicted character with like, two sides.

Learning to make your own brushes is good as hell too. It took me embarrassingly long to learn how to do that.

If you have any questions, let me know!
word count: 363